The Michigan Department of Education has established NEW explicit criteria for educational coaches that service Michigan’s Priority Schools. There are two types of educational coaches, instructional and content, who have different training requirements.
An instructional coach, having expertise in pedagogy and teaching/learning processes, provides coaching services around research-based instructional strategies and evidence-based practices; e.g., multi-tiered system of support (MTSS), professional learning communities (PLCs), differentiated instruction) to improve instructional programs and student achievement in Title I Priority schools. To be eligible to serve as an instructional coach, an individual must:
- demonstrate proficiency in Coaching 101 training and assessment, and
- complete the MI Excel Core Coaching Modules (4 total, completed in any order) through Michigan Virtual University.
A content coach, having in-depth content knowledge in the areas of math, reading, writing, science and/or social studies, provides coaching services to improve the quality of instruction and increase student achievement. Content coaches support the alignment of curriculum, standards-based instruction and assessments. To be eligible to serve as a content coach, an individual must:
- demonstrate proficiency in Coaching 101 training and assessment,
- complete the MI Excel Core Coaching Modules (four total, complete in any order) through Michigan Virtual University, and
- complete the MI Excel Content Coaching Modules in each area of desired content coaching (i.e., math, reading, writing, science and/or social studies).
MAISA Training 2009/2010
Through this discontinued program, coaches gained eligibility as an instructional coach and a content coach in reading, math, or both. Individuals who completed the 2009-2010 MAISA training are required to complete Coaching 101 and are encouraged to complete the MI Excel Core and Content Coaching Modules through Michigan Virtual University.
Please visit the program website to learn more. Click here