What are SCECHs?
On May 18, 2012 the Michigan Department of Education revised the Administrative Rules which changed SB-CEUs to State Continuing Education Hours and those hours to be clock hours. The MDE combined the terms to name the renewal credits State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs). SCECHs are state approved in-service, workshop, training, or conference credits that are used for the renewal of selected certificates issued by the MDE. SCECHs are the total number of instructional hours in a program. The eight-hour session would now award eight SCECHs. SCECH FAQs »
SCECH Course Policies
In order to receive State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) for courses completed through Michigan Virtual University's (MVU) Professional Learning Portal (PLP), learners must abide by all policies stated below:
- Users must supply their PIC (Personal Identification Code) in their PLP account. PICs can be located from the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS).
- Users first and last name must be the same in their PLP account and MOECS account.
- 100% attendance (required by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) for SCECH courses). Users must complete, at minimum, the estimated hours for the course. 1 SCECH is equivalent to 1 hour of coursework. For example, 24 SCECHs = 24 hour minimum and 36 SCECHs = 36 hour minimum.
- Users must complete their own work. MVU has a zero-tolerance policy towards plagiarism.
- SCECH credits are uploaded to MOECS weekly. Please allow up to 10 days from the end date of your course to receive the email notification that your SCECH credits have been uploaded to MOECS and an evaluation is available for you to take in MOECS. (Evaluation notices are system-generated from MOECS-NoReply@michigang.gov)
- Users must complete the MDE online evaluation in MOECS within 30 days of email notification. After completing the required online evaluation in MOECS, the SCECHs are awarded to your MOECS account.
Who is eligible to use SCECH for certificate approval?
Individuals who hold the following certificates and licenses are eligible to obtain and use SCECHs toward certificate/licensure renewal:
The School Psychologist certificate
The School Guidance Counselor license
The School Administrator certificate
The Professional Education Certificate
The Occupational Education Certificate
The Provisional Education Certificate
The Interim Occupational Certificate
Significance of SCECHs
Generic CEUs cannot be used toward renewal of the above listed certificates/licenses. Only state approved SCECH training counts toward certificate renewal. Training programs and/or conferences sponsored by either the U.S. Department of Education Teacher-to-Teacher Program or by an authorized provider of the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) are eligible for SCECHs via collaborative agreements between the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Professional Preparation Services, and both the U.S. Department of Education and IACET.